Fish and chips are a firm favourite, but using salmon instead of white fish gives a new twist. Not only does the combination of salmon and crisp batter produce a delicious dish, but cutting through the crispy batter also reveals pretty pink flakes of the salmon.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook Time 9 minutes
- 4 skinless fillets of salmon
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs separated
- 175ml iced water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add the egg yolks, water and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and gently mix together.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the flour mixture to make a smooth batter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer to 160C or test with a piece of bread by putting it into the oil and if it fries to a golden brown, the oil is ready.
- Dip the salmon fillets into the batter one at a time then place carefully into the hot oil
- Fry, turning occasionally with a slotted metal spoon, for 8-9 minutes until golden brown and the salmon is cooked through.
- Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Serve hot with a slice of lemon and either French Fries or a green salad.
Approximate nutritional information per portion
- Calories 485
- Fat 11.51g
- Sodium 600mg