A variation on traditional Paëlla for an easy but special dish to brighten up autumn evenings. Ideal for supper with friends.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1kg Scottish salmon fillet (skin removed)
- 400g long grain rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 500g fresh petits pois
- 150g chorizo
- 3 pinches of saffron strands
- 1.2 litres fish stock
- 100ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dice the peppers. Peel and chop the onion.
- Cook the onion for 3 minutes in a paella pan, using half the oil, over a medium heat.
- Add diced pepper and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and coat in oil with peppers and onion.
- Pour in one litre of fish stock, add the saffron and seasoning. Mix gently and leave to cook for 10 minutes without stirring over a gentle heat.
- Remove chorizo skin and slice.
- After rice has cooked for 10 minutes, add the peas and chorizo and leave to cook for a further 10 minutes. Add remaining stock if necessary.
- Cut the salmon into chunky pieces, season and sear for 2 to 3 minutes in a pan with the remaining olive oil.
- Arrange salmon carefully within the rice mix and leave the dish to cook for a further 3 minutes before serving.