Skip to content
- Scottish farmed salmon is safe to eat and provides many health benefits.
- The fish meal and fish oil contained within the fish feed used by Scottish salmon farmers originates from the Southern Pacific and Northern Atlantic regions.
- Ethoxyquin (EQ) is an EU approved additive used to preserve fish meal during transportation and storage.
- It is a legal requirement of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) to add the anti-oxidant to fish feed prior to shipping for safety.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) along with many other independent experts have evaluated the use of EQ several times and have approved its use in fish feed.
- The amount of EQ consumed by eating fish is negligible.
- The European Food Safety Authority regularly monitors the use of all feed additives to ensure the safety of consumers.